Thursday, July 8, 2010

Learning to drive stick-shift in the Crazy, Curvy, Croatian Countryside

Sometimes I have to just stop and wonder how in the world my actions and decisions have gotten me here. On Monday, Pedro and I met with the CEO of Natura Agro, one of the biggest food companies in Croatia. A truly amazing company, they gave us a tour of their immense production facility in the middle-of-nowhere Croatia, letting us try fresh apples right off the sorting conveyer belt and treating us to personalized goody bags. On the way home, Pedro and I were enjoying the breathtaking Croatian countryside, which is astoundingly reminiscent of Tuscany, and he was making fun of how literally no American knows how to drive a manual car. Up for the challenge, I practiced as he led me through the motions of the gears: uno, dos, tres, cuatro, cinco, seis...
The whole way home I listened for the engine to prompt me to switch gears, and I can confidently say I know how to drive a manual - from the passenger's side..
However, I was forced to take the driver's seat last night when, on the way to my birthday dinner, Pedro exclaimed he really needed to get some gas. We jutted forward a few times on the highway and then came to a complete stop. Luckily another muscle-man was in the car, Adam (one of my coaches helping us out this week), and he and Pedro pushed the car as I worked with the clutch in neutral all the way to the next gas station!
Looney times like these make me realize how a sense of curiosity and humor will take you so far in life. Adam, who is from Budapest, Hungary and is awesome, was so excited when we ran out of gas.
"Oh my gosh, I was just thinking the other day how I have never run out of gas while driving, and I thought about how it would probably be super hilarious and exciting! And it is!"
Having this mindset about an unfortunate event while traveling is absolutely necessary, and only emphasizes the power of optimism in everyday life.
And so I leave you with that observation, and hope next time you are stranded on the side of the road in a foreign country you manage to smile a little, or even laugh..?

No comments:

Post a Comment